MaxGen Nutri-genomics Testing
Below are the steps we take here at ORC when we provide you with genetic testing.
- First you will meet with Dr. Kiran our naturopathic doctor for a one hour initial consultation appointment where she will gain a comprehensive understanding of your health concerns, past medical history, social history and family history. At this end of this visit we will determine based on all this information if genetic testing would benefit you in achieving your health goals.
- MaxGen testing is a genetic test that helps us determine how your specific genetic expression is influenced by nutrition. This study is referred to as Nutri-genomics. Nutri-genomics looks at your individual DNA and specifically single nucleotide polymorphism (SNPs) and determines how a gene may function. This type of testing gives us insight into what types of vitamins and minerals your body may be lacking. It helps us better understand what types of foods and diet is best suited for your genetics and it helps us understand how nutrition may impact your mental health/cognitive function.
- Once your MaxGen lab results are received we will schedule a follow up appointment with Dr. Kiran where she will go through the lengthy 32-page report and explain how your genetics are impacted by each nutrient. She will go over the genetic signaling pathways and explain how certain vitamins, minerals or diet changes will help maximize the function of each gene that contains a variation. At this time, you will be provided with diet, lifestyle and supplements options based on the results of the test.
- Once you have implemented the options that have been provided, follow up with Dr. Kiran in 4-6 weeks to go over how you are feeling and to determine if any changes need to be made to your routine. Continue to follow up as needed.
Other Naturopathic Options
MaxGen Nutri-genomics Testing
“The study of how genetic expression is influenced by nutrition. Small variations in genetic structure may require specific nutritional support that is unique to each individual. Genetic testing provides insight to this need”. This type of testing provides information about with supplements and diet is best for you as an individual.
“Alterations in neurotransmitter levels assessed in urine provide important information and may be associated with many symptoms including cognitive and mood concerns, diminished drive, fatigue, sleep difficulties, cravings, addictions and pain.” This type of testing provides insight into which supplements would be beneficial in stabilizing neurotransmitters and then in turn helps with mood stabilization.
Diet can play a large role in our health and often we are unsure of what diet is best for our needs. Dr. Kiran helps provide you with nutritional guidance that best suits your specific health goals. This can include an anti-inflammatory diet, insulin resistance diet, Mediterranean diet, etc.
Follow up visit: This visit can vary between 30mins to 1 hour. Dr. Kiran will meet with you to review the findings of your tests and provide you with diet, lifestyle and supplement options. A follow up plan will be determined at the end of this visit.
Individualized Plans & Diets for Healing and Healthy Living
Healthier Food Choices
Naturopathic experts recommend modifying one’s diet to:
- Eliminate artificial sweeteners
- Avoid high fructose corn syrup
- Switch to organic foods
- Add fermented foods
- Supplement with BioSuperfood
Individualized Therapeutic Diets for Healing
Therapeutic Diets support healing of many health conditions.
These diets include:
- Ketogenic Diet
- Gluten-Free Diet
- Paleo Diet
- Specialized Diet (i.e. GAPS and AIP)
Let our Nutrition Coach teach you about healthy living topics, including:
- Homemade and natural skincare products
- Overcoming candida overgrowth
- Oil pulling